Friday, February 9, 2018

Winter-Weary

I love the change of seasons and always look forward to the upcoming one (even winter!).  I love snow, and stormy days.  But as February moves on, I find myself with more and more thoughts of spring!  Oh, to be able to go outside without a coat, or go to the mailbox without worrying about falling down (I am 65, you know!).

I decided the best antidote I could think of for this winter-weary condition was to start a new quilt.  I have had some thirties fabric since last April when Jill and I shopped in Lancaster and decided today was the day to cut it out!  It was Go-cutter friendly, and I did lots of cranking, and my shoulders feel it some tonight!  I didn't used to like thirties fabric, but it has grown on me, enough that I want to make a quilt.

I am resisting the urge to make a few parts and sew them into blocks.  For this quilt, I want to make ALL the components and then start assembling them.  There are 20 blocks in the quilt, and 4 4 1/2 inch HST's in each block.  I have all 80 of them sewn, pressed, and the dog ears trimmed off them.  Then I started sewing the 2 1/2 inch HST's.  There are 16 of them in each block, 320 total.  I got 50 some done and pressed tonight.  Progress!  It is always a thrill to start a new project.  Wish I had some pictures!

My decluttering project continues.  Right now the path through our bedroom is pretty narrow.  I will need to work on it tomorrow!!  I have three file boxes of convention notes that are going to go under the counter top in our bedroom.  I have been hauling them in and out of the laundry room for a few months.  I treasure them very much and will be glad to have a good place for them.  I worked on a shelf in my laundry room today.  There were some old clothes there in a laundry basket, probably to be ironed.  Some went to the garbage (Ouch!  I sewed them myself!) and some went for donation.  Great!  I found space on the shelf and started stacking tablecloths and table runners.  How nice to have a home for them, too!!  Little by little, I am making progress.

No comments: