Here is my zigzaqg quilt, all put together, and you will see more of the red and shirt material. This one was more challenging to put together. It comes from crazymomquilts blog.
Ya gotta chop off some of the zigs or zags, whatever you want to call them, to make a straight edge. Since I don't like bias edges, I cut more of my bountiful red on the straight grain to put a border around it. And, I have kept all those zigs and zags, and will do something funky with them, you can be sure!
I have started to machine quilt this but ran out of red thread. Small wonder since I have been doing so much sewing with red!!

Ah, my musical quilt. It sat for a week or so. I went to the fabric store to find something to put on for borders and binding. I loved this green batik fabric with it and it seemed an excellent match in the flourescent lighting of Joann Fabrics. Now at home and on the camera, it seems less than perfect to me.

I also bought a yard of this brick red with gold stars, which is an excellent match even under our home lighting. If only it were musical notes instead of stars!! I am hesitant to introduce the stars to the musical quilt, but I have decided to use it as binding.

Here is the quilt, with all the blocks put together, hanging over my ironing board. I decided to put a narrow green batik border around it. The coordinating musical print that I bought in the beginning is not going to show up at all in this quilt. The design is busy enough and the green batik border seems to be just right to frame it. This will hang on the wall over our bed.
Ah, my musical quilt. It sat for a week or so. I went to the fabric store to find something to put on for borders and binding. I loved this green batik fabric with it and it seemed an excellent match in the flourescent lighting of Joann Fabrics. Now at home and on the camera, it seems less than perfect to me.
I also bought a yard of this brick red with gold stars, which is an excellent match even under our home lighting. If only it were musical notes instead of stars!! I am hesitant to introduce the stars to the musical quilt, but I have decided to use it as binding.
Here is the quilt, with all the blocks put together, hanging over my ironing board. I decided to put a narrow green batik border around it. The coordinating musical print that I bought in the beginning is not going to show up at all in this quilt. The design is busy enough and the green batik border seems to be just right to frame it. This will hang on the wall over our bed.
I have it made into a quilt sandwich with muslin as backing. This quilt is not part of my stash reduction project!

But this one is!! This is a dolly quilt, or called a ticker tape quilt on crazymomquilts blog. The gingham scraps from cutting the five inch squares for my baby girl quilt are a fun idea for this quilt. You just sew the raw edged pieces onto a quilt sandwich! I also did some loop-de-loop quilting between the patches to practice. It was fun to make this little quilt and my grandkids will enjoy it with the dolls when they come.


I bound it with some bias pink gingham that I had a roll of from my rug weaving days. More stash reduction!
This is the holiday hexagon, again from crazymomquilts.com. I made it two strips bigger than the pattern shows. It fits nicely in the center of our kitchen island and shares the same fabric as our crazy quilt valances and our mixer cover. I practiced my loop-de-loop free motion quilting on it.
Now, back to my autumn fabric. I had posted a table runner that I made using the fabric from our fat quarter exchange at Chat & Sew, plus a couple of pieces that I had. I had some fabric left over, so thought I would cut 5 inch squares out of it and make some disappearing nine patch blocks. Here is the table runner I came up with--it's a little long for a table runner, but we have a big dining room table, so it is fine.
But this one is!! This is a dolly quilt, or called a ticker tape quilt on crazymomquilts blog. The gingham scraps from cutting the five inch squares for my baby girl quilt are a fun idea for this quilt. You just sew the raw edged pieces onto a quilt sandwich! I also did some loop-de-loop quilting between the patches to practice. It was fun to make this little quilt and my grandkids will enjoy it with the dolls when they come.
I bound it with some bias pink gingham that I had a roll of from my rug weaving days. More stash reduction!
I learned a couple of important lessons from this runner. 1. I did more loop-de-loop quilting on it and had lots of fun doing it. However, now that it sits on the table, it looks about as flat as a tortilla! Of course, I am using 4 oz. batting which is not super-lofty anyways. But, too much dense quilting takes away the softness. 2. There are good reasons why we put borders on quilted items, and it is not just because of looks. When I sewed the binding on, I had one area that was a little stretched because I was attaching it to a seam that was weak. Binding is easier and does a better job if you are sewing it onto an unseamed border.

I had some five inch squares left over. I sewed some of them into half-square triangle blocks and made two potholders! These also got rather stiff because of my dense ldl quilting! Usually I give potholders away (they make nice hostess gifts!) or sell them, but these went to my drawer because they are so pretty! Plus, I enjoyed putting the same squares together in a different way.

Oops, I still have two five inch squares left over. How about a pincushion? I seem to use and need lots of them since I go to a quilt group, and also sew upstairs and on the dining room table.

One square left. Since the pincushion above it rather small, and I use lots of these quiting pins to sandwich quilts together, I decided to put a border around the remaining square to make it a little bigger. This is a great size---
I had some five inch squares left over. I sewed some of them into half-square triangle blocks and made two potholders! These also got rather stiff because of my dense ldl quilting! Usually I give potholders away (they make nice hostess gifts!) or sell them, but these went to my drawer because they are so pretty! Plus, I enjoyed putting the same squares together in a different way.
Oops, I still have two five inch squares left over. How about a pincushion? I seem to use and need lots of them since I go to a quilt group, and also sew upstairs and on the dining room table.
This little guy is rather cute.
One square left. Since the pincushion above it rather small, and I use lots of these quiting pins to sandwich quilts together, I decided to put a border around the remaining square to make it a little bigger. This is a great size---

1 comment:
Wow, you've been busy- lots of fun projects! Can't wait to get moved and unpacked so I can start again.... I'm going to attempt hand piecing on the trip down, new for me, but I hate going too long without sewing. =)
Post a Comment